LISTEN TO THE SERMON:
This study guide is provided for OneLife Home Groups to use as the guide for your time together. You can also use it to go deeper on your own throughout the week! Need to join a home group? Click here!
NEED TO KNOW:
Home Groups Launch, January 28
One of our values at OneLife is that we don’t do life alone! So we encourage everyone to take the next step of joining a Home Group. These small groups of 10-12 people meet in homes throughout the city at different days and times during the week and allow you to connect with and share life with other people. We’ll have a home groups launch event on Sunday, January 28 at 12:15pm right after the second service. To sign up go by Next Steps in the lobby of your Campus or for more information about Home Groups go to onelifeknox.com/groups.
Kid City Team Nights
Did you know that every month it takes a TON of volunteers to prepare all of the arts and crafts, games, and lesson plans for our kids ministry? That’s where you come in! At 6:30pm on Tuesday, January 30 at the North campus and Thursday, February 1st at the East campus you’re invited to help us make it all happen. From cutting out crafts, to organizing lesson plans, building crazy games, and more – it’s a lot of fun and it’s a huge way for you to support Kid City. For more information about Kid’s Ministry go to: onelifeknox.com/kids.
OneLife’s Student Ministry meets every Wednesday night at 6:30pm at each campus. If you’re in middle or high school, this is a great way for you to get to know other students, grow in your faith, and have a lot of fun too! If you’d like more information about OneLife Students stop by the student banner in the lobby of your Campus or go to onelifeknox.com/students.
If you’ve given your life to Jesus, but haven’t gone public with your story through baptism, then it’s time to take that next step! Go to onelifeknox.com/baptism so that we can help you get started.
THINK IT OVER
Think back through Sunday’s message. What stuck out?
Key Scriptures: Matthew 6, Matthew 4:1-4, Mark 9:29
When I need something supernatural, turn to a lifeline that’s supernatural.
- A lifeline is a thing on which someone depends or which provides a means of escape from a difficult situation.
- Fasting is voluntary denial of an otherwise normal function for the sake of intense spiritual activity.
- Why should I fast?
- For a breakthrough.
- To reveal what controls me.
- To respond to urgent needs.
- Ask these two questions to determine what to fast and what to pray for:
- What do I normally depend on? This will reveal what our natural lifeline is that we can fast.
- What am I begging God for?
- When has an every day, natural lifeline saved the day for you? How did you end up depending on that going forward?
TALK IT OVER
Start Talking – Get the Conversation Started!
- Read Matthew 6:1-8, 16-18. What does it imply that Jesus says, “WHEN you give…” “WHEN you pray…” and “WHEN you fast…”?
- Starting in verse 1, and several other times, there is a theme about how to do these things and how NOT to do them. What is it? Why is this such a challenge for many of us? And why is this so important to God?
- Why is doing these things the right way such a challenge for many of us? And why is this so important to God?
- When have you had an urgent need and you depended on a natural lifeline that let you down or didn’t fulfill you like you hoped it would?
- Has anyone in the group ever fasted before? What did God teach you, speak to you, or show you?
- What is your biggest fear or tension about fasting as we prepare for our church-wide day of prayer and fasting on Wednesday?
- As you ask the question, “What do I normally depend on?” what is revealed to you as your natural lifeline? Each person in the group share briefly!
- As you ask the question, “What am I begging God for?” what is your answer? How does this change the way you normally pray for just those things that will make life easier or better for you?
- Take some time to thank God that he gave us a supernatural lifeline to experience breakthrough in time of urgent need.
- Confess to God the ways you depend on things other than him to be your lifeline.
- Ask God to prepare you for a day of fasting, and ask him to help you experience more of who he is in your life!
- Matthew 4 and Matthew 6