LISTEN TO THE SERMON:
This study guide is provided for OneLife Home Groups to use as the guide for your time together. You can also use it to go deeper on your own throughout the week! Need to join a home group? Click here!
NEED TO KNOW:
As the Christmas season approaches this is the perfect time to give back to those less fortunate in our community and even across our nation. This year OneLife is partnering with Helen Ross McNabb’s Angel Tree program as well as providing Angel Tree gifts for children on the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation in Montana. Through the Angel Tree programs you can provide Christmas presents for children who otherwise may receive nothing this year. The Angel Tree will be in the lobby starting Sunday, November 12 – so be sure to stop by then!
Christmas Parade Float Construction
Every year OneLife participates in Christmas parades all over Knoxville. This is a great way to represent OneLife Church out in the community. Plus, it’s a lot of fun! We need your help with parade float construction and decorating. Whether you’re a handyman, crafty decorator, or just want to hang out and get to know people, you’ll love helping out! Sign-ups are available at onelifeknox.com/parade.
OneLife Students – Double Dog Dare Weekend!
If you’re in middle or high school, we have a brand new event that you’re going to love called Double Dog Dare Weekend! Here’s how it works: you invite a friend over to stay the night on Saturday, November 18th. Then, you and your friend complete some dares and send in pictures. Finally, you and your friend come to church on Sunday where we pick some winners and give out prizes. It’s guaranteed to be the most fun you’ve ever had or your money back. Go to onelifeknox.com/doubledogdare and sign up today.
Jingle Jam – A Kids Ministry Family Experience
Jingle Jam is a Christmas Party big enough for the whole family! Kids- bring your parents to this interactive Christmas presentation. It will take place at the North Campus on December 3rd at 6:30pm. Be sure to invite another family to join you!
THINK IT OVER
Think back through Sunday’s message. What stuck out?
Key Scriptures: 1 Peter 1:12; Hebrews 1:14, 13:2; Psalm 91:11
The unseen entourage protects in unseen ways..
- Angels are usually unseen by us.
- When angels are seen by us, it is usually unknown to us.
- Angels can be seen by physical eyes, but would be terrifying!
- Angels protect us by giving direction.
- Angels protect us from danger, specifically spiritual danger.
- Like they did for Jesus, angels minister to us and strengthen us.
- When angels appeared in the Bible, it was always before a major assignment or mission from God!
- We’ve been given a mission to multiply our faith, so we can rest knowing God’s unseen entourage is protecting us in unseen ways!
TALK IT OVER
Start Talking – Get the Conversation Started!
- When have you been wowed by someone taking care of you or protecting you when you didn’t even know it?
- Read Psalm 91:11. What does this describe as one of the angels purposes? Is there a story from the Bible that comes to mind when an angel or group of angels did this?
- Read Hebrews 1:1-7. In the Old Testament, God spoke through angels and prophets. So it might be natural to wonder why you have never experienced something like that. What does this passage teach is different now? How does God speak now (hint: verse 2), and what has then become the role of the angels (hint: verses 6 &7)?
- Read Hebrews 1:14. What does this describe as one of the angels purposes? Is there a story from the Bible that comes to mind when an angel or group of angels did this?
- Read Numbers 22:21-31. How did God protect Balaam with the unseen angel? When have you been protected from something in an unseen way that may have been God doing this for you?
- What did Balaam do three times that showed his stubbornness and insistence on doing what he wanted instead of what God wanted? When are you tempted to do this, too?
- Read Matthew 4:11 and Luke 22:43. What did the angels do for Jesus? What do we need to do first that Jesus did so that God can minister to us in this way?
- Read Luke 22:44. What did the strengthening lead Jesus to do? How can you respond like Jesus did?
- What is the assignment that God has given to all of us that the enemy wants to destroy? How can you let the protection of the unseen entourage help you make a difference in the world around you?
- As you pray, thank God for giving you an entourage that fights for you.
- Confess to God the ways you may try to go your own way rather than submitting to the direction he wants to give you.
- Ask God to help you trust Him as the one that protects and fights for you and also protects and fights for others you love so that you don’t have to do it yourself!
- Hebrews 1