LISTEN TO THE SERMON:
This study guide is provided for OneLife Home Groups to use as the guide for your time together. You can also use it to go deeper on your own throughout the week! Need to join a home group? Click here!
NEED TO KNOW:
Volunteer Interest Meeting, November 5
If you’ve been coming to OneLife but haven’t started volunteering, then it’s time to get on the team! Come to our next Volunteer Interest Meeting that we call “Test Drive” on Sunday, November 5 at 9:00am in the Meeting Room of your campus. Go to onelifeknox.com/volunteer to get signed up today!
As the Christmas season approaches this is the perfect time to give back to those less fortunate in our community and even across our nation. This year OneLife is partnering with Helen Ross McNabb’s Angel Tree program as well as providing angel tree gifts for children on the Northern Cheyenne Indian Reservation in Montana. Through the angel tree programs you can provide Christmas presents for children who otherwise may receive nothing this year. The Angel Tree will be in the lobby starting Sunday, November 12 – so be sure to stop by then!
Christmas Parade Float Construction
Every year OneLife participates in Christmas parades all over Knoxville. This is a great way to represent OneLife Church out in the community. Plus, it’s a lot of fun! We need your help with parade float construction and decorating. Whether you’re a handyman, crafty decorator, or just want to hang out and get to know people, you’ll love helping out! Sign-ups are available at onelifeknox.com/parade.
THINK IT OVER
Think back through Sunday’s message. What stuck out?
Key Scriptures: Luke 16:22-29; 1 Corinthians 5:8
There’s only one life and one Ghost that is for me.
- The afterlife begins as soon as life ends.
- Where our spirits go after dying, our spirits will stay for eternity.
- Those who have died are unable to return to the earth – those in heaven are at “home” with the Lord, and those in hell are bound by its gates.
- When we see or hear something from the unseen world, we must “test those spirit” to determine if they are from God or not.
- We must ask: could it be an angel or could it be a demon?
- Above all else, we should turn to the One who is for us!
TALK IT OVER
Start Talking – Get the Conversation Started!
- Have you ever been fooled by something that was a counterfeit like Rodney’s story of the counterfeit money?
- Read Isaiah 26:14. What does it teach us about the soul or spirit of someone who has passed away? Are they able to return to the earth?
- Why do you think so many people – especially Christ followers – believe something different than what Isaiah 26:14 teaches since it seems so obvious from the Scripture?
- Read Luke 16:22-29. What different things stick out to you about what this passage teaches about life after death?
- Read Deuteronomy 18:10-11. What were you previously taught or led to believe about the things listed in this passage? Before hearing this message, did what you believe line up with what the Bible teaches?
- Read 2 Corinthians 11:13-14. How does Satan make the counterfeits look real? How have you seen these counterfeits twisted and disguised to look like they’re “ok” even though God considers them counterfeits?
- Read 1 John 4:1. Have you ever had an encounter with an unseen spirit? What does this verse teach you to do in those times, and how will this help you in the future?
- Read Isaiah 8:19. How can you put this verse into practice? How can it be a comfort for those who are grieving the loss of a loved one?
- Read John 14:16-17. How can this verse become a comfort for you? How can you live with this being the relationship you need most rather than longing for relationship with someone who has passed away?
- As you pray, thank God for giving you his Holy Spirit, who will never leave you.
- Confess to God the ways you may have fallen for counterfeits in the past or been tempted to give them leverage in your life.
- Ask God to help you trust Him as all that you need and to trust that the home he prepares for you is far greater than anything this earth has to offer.
- Acts 16:16-40