LISTEN TO THE SERMON:
This study guide is provided for OneLife Home Groups to use as the guide for your time together. You can also use it to go deeper on your own throughout the week! Need to join a home group? Click here!
NEED TO KNOW:
Night of Worship, October 18
If you like Sunday morning worship at OneLife then you’ll love our night of worship coming up Wednesday night, October 18 at 6:30pm at your campus. There will be an extended time of music, prayer, communion, and an exciting message from Pastor Rodney. You don’t want to miss this!
Start Here – for Elementary Kids & Parents
If you’re a parent of an elementary student and your child has been talking to you about their relationship with Jesus – or if you’re wanting to learn more about HOW to talk to your child about Jesus – then we have an event called “Start Here” that is the perfect next step for you. It’ll take place on Sunday, October 22 in the meeting room of your campus at 9am during the first service. To sign up go to onelifeknox.com/starthere.
MANDay Night, October 23
At OneLife we want to see our men grow deeper in their faith, build strong friendships with other men, lead their families well, and serve the needs of our church and community. So, on October 23rd at 7:00pm at the North Campus, it’s not going to be just another Monday night, but a MANDay Night, where we’ll challenge and equip our men to do just that. There will be some man food, man hang-out time, and a challenging message geared toward men. Plus, since it’s the fall season, men can bring their crockpot full of chili and see if they have what it takes to win the OneLife Top Chef Prize. RSVP at onelifeknox.com/manday. Dads, bring your middle or high school sons along with you!
THINK IT OVER
Think back through Sunday’s message. What stuck out?
Key Scriptures: Philippians 2:5-11
Jesus chose to be disadvantaged so we don’t have to stay that way.
- Underdog excuse #5: I am disadvantaged.
- 1. We all have disadvantages.
- 2. Jesus was disadvantaged.
- 3. Jesus relates to our disadvantages more than we know.
- 4. Our disadvantages show us how much we need Jesus’ strength.
TALK IT OVER
Start Talking – Get the Conversation Started!
- What’s a funny disadvantage you had growing up (like Lane being bad at basketball)?
- What is a disadvantage (funny or serious) that you live with today?
- Read Philippians 2:5-8 What does it mean that Jesus “gave up his divine privileges”? What are some disadvantages Jesus had?
- Read Hebrews 4:15-16 How is Jesus able to sympathize with our weaknesses? Why does this matter?
- Read 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 What does Jesus mean when he tells Paul that his power is made perfect in weakness?
- How have you let a disadvantage hold you back or define you?
- In what ways could you begin to see your disadvantage from a different perspective? How would this change you?
- What can you do this week to let Jesus define you instead of your disadvantage?
- How can you help another person see their disadvantages from a different perspective?
- As you pray, thank God that he sent Jesus who chose to be disadvantaged so you don’t have to stay that way!
- Confess to God the ways you’ve let your disadvantage define you.
- Ask God to help you live in your new identity in him!
- Philippians 2