LISTEN TO THE SERMON:
This study guide is provided for OneLife Home Groups to use as the guide for your time together. You can also use it to go deeper on your own throughout the week! Need to join a home group? Click here!
NEED TO KNOW:
Kid City Team Night – We need your help!
Did you know that every month it takes a TON of volunteers to prepare all of the arts and crafts, games, and lesson plans for our kids ministry? That’s where you come in! At 6:30pm on Tuesday, September 26 at the North campus and Thursday, September 28 at the East campus you’re invited to help us make it all happen. From cutting out crafts, to organizing lesson plans, building crazy games, and more – it’s a lot of fun and it’s a huge way for you to support Kid City. For more information about Kid City go to onelifeknox.com/kids.
Volunteer Interest Meeting, October 8
If you’ve been coming to OneLife but haven’t started volunteering, then it’s time to get on the team! Come to our next Volunteer Interest Meeting that we call “Test Drive” on Sunday, October 8 at 9:00am in the Meeting Room of your campus. Go to onelifeknox.com/volunteer to get signed up today!
Over the last few months we’ve seen story after story of people whose lives have been changed by Jesus! If you’ve given your life to Jesus, but haven’t gone public with your story through baptism, then it’s time to take that next step. Go to onelifeknox.com/baptism so that we can help you get started.
THINK IT OVER
Think back through Sunday’s message. What stuck out?
Key Scriptures: John 14:6; 21:2-6
When my way gets me in in over my head, The Way always pulls through.
- Underdog excuse #3: I’m in over my head.
- My way gets me in over my head because…
- …It reverts back to what’s comfortable, not whats best.
- …There’s always has a crowd telling me it’s ok.
- …It doesn’t work!
- The Way – Jesus – pulls me through…
- …He is always there.
- …His way doesn’t always make sense.
- …His way works!
TALK IT OVER
Start Talking – Get the Conversation Started!
- When have you done a project or tried something “your way” and it just got you in over your head (i.e. like Rodney painting the crib)? Did you have to call in help or start over?
- When did you do something that didn’t make sense, but you did it anyway because it was the right way to do it?
- Read John 21:1-3. What do you think might have been different if the crowd had responded differently? What do you think the crowd may have done differently if Peter said, “Let’s go do what Jesus said to do”? What does this teach about how the crowd influences us but also how we can influence the crowd?
- Read John 21:4-6. Did Jesus know the answer to the question he asked in verse 5? Why do you think he asked it?
- Why do you think Jesus waited all night to intervene? What might this teach us about when we are trying our way and in over our heads?
- When have you listened to “the crowd” and it kept you sinking in over your head? When have you gone against what someone in “the crowd” told you, and it worked out much better as a result?
- Why do you think the disciples were unable to recognize Jesus’ voice when he called out to them? When are you most able to hear his voice? When are you least able to hear his voice?
- What did Jesus tell the disciples in John 16:5-7? So why do you think they were so willing to throw in the towel? When are you tempted to do the same thing?
- What can you do to pursue what God says is best for you, even if it is not what is most comfortable? What role can “the crowd” you are with tonight play in helping make that happen?
- Read Revelation 12:10-11. If we believe this is what God wants for each of us, what will we do for our “brothers and sisters” even if we feel like we are in over our heads in doing so?
- As you pray, thank Jesus that His way never fails and He never leaves you!
- Confess to God the ways you’ve trusted in your own way rather than following His way.
- Ask God to help you trust His Spirit to teach you everything you need to know so you can follow His way even when it doesn’t make sense!
- John 21