LISTEN TO THE SERMON:
This study guide is provided for OneLife Home Groups to use as the guide for your time together. You can also use it to go deeper on your own throughout the week! Need to join a home group? Click here!
NEED TO KNOW:
Kid City Team Night – We need your help!
Did you know that every month it takes a TON of volunteers to prepare all of the arts and crafts, games, and lesson plans for our kids ministry? That’s where you come in! At 6:30pm on Tuesday, September 26 at the North campus and Thursday, September 28 at the East campus you’re invited to help us make it all happen. From cutting out crafts, to organizing lesson plans, building crazy games, and more – it’s a lot of fun and it’s a huge way for you to support Kid City. For more information about Kid City go to onelifeknox.com/kids.
Volunteer Interest Meeting, October 8
If you’ve been coming to OneLife but haven’t started volunteering, then it’s time to get on the team! Come to our next Volunteer Interest Meeting that we call “Test Drive” on Sunday, October 8 at 9:00am in the Meeting Room of your campus. Go to onelifeknox.com/volunteer to get signed up today!
Next Steps Area
After the service, stop by the Next Steps area in the lobby of your campus. Whether you’re looking for information about volunteering, home groups, baptism, or want to talk to someone about what Jesus is doing in your life, or even just looking for some resources like sermon note binders, a free Bible, or OneLife’s worship album – the Next Steps area is the place to go.
Over the last few months we’ve seen story after story of people whose lives have been changed by Jesus! If you’ve given your life to Jesus, but haven’t gone public with your story through baptism, then it’s time to take that next step. Go to onelifeknox.com/baptism so that we can help you get started.
THINK IT OVER
Think back through Sunday’s message. What stuck out?
Key Scriptures: Acts 22:3-21
The pain of my past can become the passion for my platform.
- Underdog excuse #2: My past is too bad.
- Everybody has a past, as Paul’s story so clearly illustrates.
- Other people knowing my past seems crippling.
- I have to be honest about my past.
- God calls me out of a past and to a platform, even when the past seems disqualifying.
- God can turn my pain into a passion.
TALK IT OVER
Start Talking – Get the Conversation Started!
- When have you seen someone who was considered an underdog simply because their record in the past was one of failure or loss?
- What is your favorite story of someone overcoming past failures to overcome the underdog role?
- Read Acts 22:3-4. How does Paul try to connect his past to the people he is talking to? Why is this important when we are trying to talk to others about what Jesus has done in our lives?
- Read Acts 22:5-8. What does this story teach for those who believe their past may be too bad for Jesus to want to reach them? How is this different than what many who don’t know Jesus might believe?
- Read Acts 22:10, 14-16. What was Paul told to do as soon as he met Jesus? How much “cleaning up” did he have to do first? How long did God want him to wait before he was to share his story of Jesus with others?
- Why does other people knowing about our past seem so crippling? How does James 5:16 teach something opposite of this? Why do you think James 5:16 is true?
- As painful as Paul’s past was, it gave him a story to share of how radical God’s grace is. How does being honest about our pain and our past make us relatable to other people who also need Jesus?
- What is a passion that you have or have experienced as a result of pain that you have faced in your life? How does it impact relationships in your life?
- Read Acts 22:15-16 again as if it was written just to you. What would you have to do next to be obedient to what it’s telling you?
- Read 2 Corinthians 5:17. What’s holding you back from living out this promise? What do you need to do to defeat the lie that your past is too bad for Jesus to use you?
- As you pray, thank Jesus that He called you out of your past and to a platform!
- Confess to God the ways you’ve allowed your past to be an anchor that holds you down, and a lie that keeps you stuck as an underdog.
- Ask God to show you how you can use the pain of your past to be the passion that fuels your platform for Jesus!
- Acts 22
- 2 Corinthians 5