LISTEN TO THE SERMON:
This study guide is provided for OneLife Home Groups to use as the guide for your time together. You can also use it to go deeper on your own throughout the week! Need to join a home group? Click here!
NEED TO KNOW:
Kid City Glow Night – an Elementary Family Experience
Are you ready for some glow in the dark fun? Kid City’s Glow Night is an experience for elementary students and their families with glow in the dark games & entertainment that’s going to be a blast! Join us at OneLife’s East Campus on Friday Night, September 15 from 7:00-8:30pm. RSVP online at onelifeknox.com/glow or write “Glow Night” on your Connection Card and we’ll send you the link to sign up.
Starting Point – A New Sunday Morning Group
Everything has a starting point – your life, your relationships, your education, your career. Sometimes we forget that our faith has a starting point, or might need a new starting point. Beginning Sunday, September 17 at 10:45am in the Meeting Room of your campus, OneLife is hosting an 8-week small group study that will allow you to reflect on different topics of faith, all while getting to know other OneLifers. So whether you’ve been attending OneLife for a few weeks or a few years, this is a great next step to take. Click onelifeknox.com/startingpoint to sign up.
Over the last few months we’ve seen story after story of people whose lives have been changed by Jesus! If you’ve given your life to Jesus, but haven’t gone public with your story through baptism, then it’s time to take that next step. Go to onelifeknox.com/baptism so that we can help you get started.
THINK IT OVER
Think back through Sunday’s message. What stuck out?
Key Scriptures: Exodus 3:7-10
God doesn’t call the qualified, he qualifies the called.
- Every underdog has an excuse.
- The first excuse is I’m not qualified.
- The first part in the story of overcoming our place as underdog is remembering that God sees the problems that need to be solved.
- But when solving that problem, the calling comes first!
- God uses his people to solve the problems.
- The calling will always feel too big.
- God’s presence is my qualification.
TALK IT OVER
Start Talking – Get the Conversation Started!
- What is your favorite underdog story? Was it an underdog you rooted for or were you the underdog?
- What was the excuse your underdog above could have used?
- Read Exodus 3:7. What about this verse might be surprising for some people? What does it teach us about God?
- Read Exodus 3:8-9. What does God promise to do? In verse 10, how does he do it?
- Read Exodus 3:11. How does this verse show Moses’ view of himself as an underdog? Why do you think he responded this way?
- What is a problem or injustice that you’ve seen and wondered what the solution might be? What do you hope God sees and hears like he saw and heard the oppression of Israel?
- If God told you that He wanted you to go be the solution, how would you respond? Would you feel like an underdog? Why?
- Read Exodus 4:1, 10, and 13. What are the ways Moses felt unqualified? When you think about how you answered the previous two questions, what about those things make you feel unqualified like Moses felt?
- Read Exodus 3:12. What ultimately made Moses successful? What can you do to experience God’s presence in your life each day so that you can be qualified by God’s presence, too?
- If God called you to do something “too big” on your own in terms of those where you live, work, and play, what might it be? What could be a first step this week?
- As you pray, thank Jesus that He gave His Spirit to be your qualification!
- Confess to God the ways you’ve focused on your lack of qualification instead of his power to work in your life.
- Ask God to show you what His calling is on your life so you can do something so big that only He can get the credit for it!
- Exodus 3-4