LISTEN TO THE SERMON:
This study guide is provided for OneLife Home Groups to use as the guide for your time together. You can also use it to go deeper on your own throughout the week! Need to join a home group? Click here!
NEED TO KNOW:
Serve The City
Serve The City is back! We’ve got incredible opportunities the whole month of July as we team up with our missions partners from around Knoxville and serve together. We’ll spend a few hours each Wednesday night doing some landscape work at our schools, spending time with the residents at the assisted living facilities, helping some of the local community and ministry centers, and much more. The projects continue this Wednesday night, to sign up go to onelifeknox.com/servethecity.
Kid City Movie Meet-ups – July 18 & 25
What’s more fun than summer at the movies? On Tuesday, July 18 at 10am you and your Kid City kids are invited to join us at the Regal Knoxville Center Mall to watch The Adventures of Tintin. Then, on Tuesday, July 25 at 10am join us at the Regal West Town Mall for Happy Feet 2. Ticket prices are only $1 so bring the whole family. We can’t wait to see you there!
Kid City Glow Night – an Elementary Family Experience
Are you ready for some glow in the dark fun? Kid City’s Glow Night is an experience for elementary students and their families with glow in the dark games & entertainment that’s going to be a blast! Join us at OneLife’s East Campus on Friday Night, July 21 from 6:30-8:00pm. RSVP at onelifeknox.com/glow.
Women’s Bible Study – Starts July 20
Starting July 20 on Thursday evenings from 6:15 – 8:00pm, women of OneLife are invited to a 5 week bible study held at OneLife’s North Campus. The group will study Christine Caine’s book, Unashamed. This is a great way for ladies to connect with each other as well as to study God’s word.
THINK IT OVER
Think back through Sunday’s message. What stuck out?
What gets my applause and my sacrifice is what I really worship.
- Worship is not just music and singing.
- I worship whatever or whoever gets my attention and applause first, and whatever or whoever I sacrifice for first.
- We all naturally give applause and sacrifice – that’s not a bad thing! But God wants us to give it to Him first.
- We do that because he did it for us first when he sacrificed everything for me.
- You can find what gets your applause by looking at social media and listening to what you talk most about.
- You can find what gets your sacrifice by looking at your calendar to see how you spend your time and your bank account to see how you spend your money.
- If I’m unwilling to sacrifice for Jesus, the one who sacrificed for me, it tells me about the true condition of my heart.
TALK IT OVER
Start Talking – Get the Conversation Started!
- What is something or somebody you sacrificed for, and when you look back on it you can’t believe you did it!?
- What are some crazy things you see people in your life applauding first or sacrificing for first?
- Read Romans 11:36. What does this verse say is the purpose of everything? What does that then mean about when and where our worship will happen?
- Read Romans 12:1. According to this verse, how do we show that we truly worship? Why does this verse say that this should be a natural response?
- Read Romans 12:2. What does this verse warn us to not compare to when we think about how we worship? Why do you think this warning is there?
- When you think about giving God your first applause and your first sacrifice, what is the most challenging part of actually doing it?
- Read Matthew 6:33. What does this verse say should be our first pursuit? What is the promise we have in return? How does this apply to our worship, and how does it help take tension away from jumping in to trust God with your “first”?
- When you look honestly at your social media or at what you talk about the most, what does it show you are most tempted to give your first applause to?
- When you look honestly at your calendar and your bank account, what does it show you are most tempted to give your first sacrifice to?
- With our definition of worship in mind, how does gathering with others on Sunday morning to sing, serve, and learn qualify as worship? How can you give applause and sacrifice through this traditional understanding of worship?
- What can you do this week to give your first applause – your glory – to Jesus?
- What can you do this week to give your first sacrifice to Jesus?
- How will living in this way change the way you tell your story to those around you? How will it help them better see who Jesus truly is?
- As you pray, thank Jesus for sacrificing for you first!
- Confess to God the ways that you give your first applause and your first sacrifice to things and people other than Him.
- Ask God to help you trust Him to give you everything you need so you can fully and completely worship him with your glory and sacrifice.
- Romans 12
- Psalm 63