LISTEN TO THE SERMON:
This study guide is provided for OneLife Home Groups to use as the guide for your time together. You can also use it to go deeper on your own throughout the week! Need to join a home group? Click here!
NEED TO KNOW:
Kid City Team Night – We need your help!
Did you know that every month it takes a TON of volunteers to prepare all of the arts and crafts, games, and lesson plans for our kids ministry? That’s where you come in! At 6:30pm on Tuesday, May 2 at the North campus and Thursday, May 4 at the East campus you’re invited to help us make it all happen. From cutting out crafts, to organizing lesson plans, building crazy games, and more – it’s a lot of fun and it’s a huge way for you to support Kid City. For more information or to let us know if you can help go to onelifeknox.com/elementary.
Middle School “Next Level” Move-up Day
If your child is entering Middle School this fall, then make plans to attend “Next Level”. This will be held on June 23rd between services in the Meeting Room. During this event, parents and students will meet our Student Ministry Team and enjoy game time. And parents- you will receive some valuable information on how to make the most of the middle school years!
Serve The City
Serve The City is back! We’ve got incredible opportunities the whole month of July as we team up with our missions partners from around Knoxville and serve together. We’ll spend a few hours each Wednesday night doing some landscape work at our schools, spending time with the residents at the assisted living facilities, helping some of the local community and ministry centers, and much more. It all starts Wednesday night, July 5, so to sign up go to onelifeknox.com/servethecity.
THINK IT OVER
Think back through Sunday’s message. What stuck out?
Genesis 1:1; John 1:1-3
Every story has a beginning, and every beginning tells a story.
What story does the beginning tell me about God?
TALK IT OVER
Start Talking – Get the conversation started!
- What is something you’ve always wondered how it works or where it came from? Or something that blew your mind when you found out how it works?
- Read Genesis 1:1. This simple verse has so much power. Read it three more times, but emphasize a different word each time and discuss how it alters the impact and meaning: beginning, God, and created.
- If Genesis 1:1 were untrue, and God did not create the world, what would that mean for the rest of our beliefs? What does this mean about how important this issue is to our faith?
- Read Romans 1:18-20. What role does creation play in people knowing God? What have you experienced in creation that helps you see God in the way these verses describe?
- What were you taught about creation at home growing up? What were you taught in school?
- What have you been taught about how faith and science clash or can co-exist? How did this message help you when having that conversation?
- Read John 1:1-3. How does this passage tie in to our understanding of the Trinity from last week? How does this make Jesus the foundation of all life, especially your life?
- Which day in the story most spoke to you? Light coming from darkness, order coming from chaos, time being out of your hands, the Creator being unbelievable creative, or it all being about relationship? Each person in the group share why that most speaks to you.
- Think about which day speaks to you most. What does the understanding of Jesus being the foundation of that lead you to want to do differently in your life? What are you going to give up and let him control since He is the foundation and source of all parts of your life?
- How will sticking to the basics of “In the beginning God created…” help you as you have conversations with someone that might disagree with you about how the world and life came to be? What will you share with them in terms of how creation tells your story?
- If every beginning tells a story, what story does the beginning of your relationship with Jesus tell? How would you share that story with someone where you live, work, or play?
- As you pray, thank God for creating everything to have a relationship with you.
- Confess to God how you lose sight of Him being the foundation and source, and might often try to take control.
- Ask God to help you to live in a way that tells the story creation is intended to tell!
- Romans 1:18-32