LISTEN TO THE SERMON:
This study guide is provided for OneLife Home Groups to use as the guide for your time together. You can also use it to go deeper on your own throughout the week! Need to join a home group? Click here!
NEED TO KNOW:
Come to the Castle – A Preschool Family Experience
Calling all princes and princesses! Join us for a fun & interactive preschool family experience held at OneLife’s North Campus on Friday, June 16th at 6:30pm. This is a FREE event designed for preschool families, but we encourage the whole family to attend. Oh- and don’t forget to invite other preschool parents where you live, work and play! To RSVP visit onelifeknox.com/preschoolnight. We can’t wait to see you there!
Over the last few months we’ve seen story after story of people whose lives have been changed by Jesus! If you’ve given your life to Jesus, but haven’t gone public with your story through baptism, then it’s time to take that next step. Go to onelifeknox.com/baptism so that we can help you get started.
MANday Night – June 19
June 19 isn’t going to be just another Monday night. For the guys of OneLife, it’s going to be MANday night. So come to the East campus at 7pm for some man food, man hang-out time, and a challenging message geared toward men. Visit onelifeknox.com/manday to let us know you are coming. Dads, bring your middle school and high school sons with you!
THINK IT OVER
Think back through Sunday’s message. What stuck out?
1 Peter 3:15; 2 Timothy 3:16; Luke 3:1-2; Luke 24: 27; Psalm 119:105
Our faith is not founded on a book, but on the event that inspired the book.
The foundation of our faith is not a book, but an event that inspired the book.
Most of us have been taught to believe because the Bible says so.
This gets our faith backwards! Our faith does not exist because of a book. The book exists because of our faith in an even that changed the world!
The entire Bible has one single theme, even though it was written over 1500 years, by 40 authors, in three different languages, on three continents.
The Old Testament looks forward to the event that changed the world.
The New Testament looks back at the event that changed the world.
Jesus is the foundation of my faith. The Bible is the light to help navigate my faith.
TALK IT OVER
Start Talking – Get the conversation started!
- What is something you believed just because someone told you it was true? (Like don’t touch a birds nest or the mother won’t come back!)
- What is something you now do as an adult because that’s just the way your family always did it?
- Read 1 Peter 3:15. Each sentence of this verse teaches us to do three specific things when it comes to faith. What are those three things?
- Read 2 Timothy 3:16. Where does this tell us that the Bible comes from? What does this teach that the Bible is to be used for?
- Read Luke 24:27. What does this teach us about the purpose of the Old Testament? How did Jesus view the Old Testament?
- What is the “hope that you have” that 1 Peter 3:15 talks about? How has this hope helped you in real ways throughout your life?
- Do you feel prepared or unprepared to answer people if they question you about why you have hope? Why?
- Have you ever questioned your faith because someone questioned or challenged details about the Bible that you weren’t able to defend or even understand?
- How does the idea that Jesus and the resurrection is our foundation for faith – not the Bible – help you? How does it challenge you?
- Read Revelation 12:10-11. What does this verse teach us is our power and the answer for the hope that we have? How does this show what the true foundation of our faith is?
- Read Psalm 119:105. How should you use the Bible? What are practical ways you can do this?
- Read Matthew 23:15. Pharisees were “people of the Book.” They made everyone follow every law in the Old Testament. But what does Jesus say the result was? What do we need to learn from this as we use the Bible to be our guide?
What did Christians do for the first 300 years of our faith that allowed it spread like crazy – without Bibles readily available – that we should be doing, too?[/list_item]
- As you pray, thank God for giving you the scriptures to be your guide through life.
- Confess to God how you have gotten distracted by the things that you don’t understand or even question, causing you to lose focus on Jesus as your foundation.
- Ask God to help you to live in a way that shows other people the hope that you have!
- Matthew 23
- Revelation 12