LISTEN TO THE SERMON:
This study guide is provided for OneLife Home Groups to use as the guide for your time together. You can also use it to go deeper on your own throughout the week! Need to join a home group? Click here!
NEED TO KNOW:
Start Here – for Elementary Kids
If you’re a parent of an elementary student and your child has been talking to you about their relationship with Jesus – or if you’re wanting to learn more about HOW to talk to your child about Jesus – then we have an event called “Start Here” that is the perfect next step for you. It’ll take place Sunday, April 9 at both campuses in the elementary area immediately following the second service, and lunch will be provided. For more information go to onelifeknox.com/elementary/.
Easter Bunny Photos
On Saturday morning, April 15 we will host our annual free photos with the Easter Bunny at three local Chick-fil-A stores – Fountain City, Emory Road, and Clinton Highway. This is a unique way to serve families in our city while also reaching out in a creative way the day before Easter. You can help in one of many ways, including setting up and tearing down, taking photos, editing photos and posting to our website, hosting families, and even being the Easter Bunny! Write “Bunny Photos” on your Connection Card for more information or sign up at onelifeknox.com/easterphotos.
Student Beach Camp 2017
Middle and High School Students listen up! Summer is only a few months away which means it’s time for our student ministry beach camp. June 26 – 30 you’ll get to hang out in Myrtle Beach, SC with other students from OneLife for a week of awesome worship, powerful teaching, and a ton of fun at the beach! Visit beachcamp2017.com for all the information and to register today.
If you’ve given your life to Jesus, but haven’t gone public with your story through baptism, then it’s time to take that next step! Go to onelifeknox.com/baptism so that we can help you get started.
THINK IT OVER
Think back through Sunday’s message. What stuck out?
2 Samuel 12
The cost of confession is always far less than the cost of concealment.
- Concealing will cost me more than confessing because…
- 1. I become a hypocrite.
- 2. I get exposed.
- 3. I cause pain.
- Confessing leads to experiencing these rewards…
- 1. I am forgiven.
- 2. I am shown grace.
- 3. I am no longer alone.
TALK IT OVER
Start Talking – Get the conversation started!
- Have you ever had to keep a secret – either funny or serious – and it was extremely hard to do? What made it so hard to keep it in?
- Have you ever been caught trying to keep a secret? How did you get found out?
- Read 2 Samuel 12:1-4. In the story Nathan tells David, what did the rich man do wrong? What does it say about the rich man that he took the poor man’s lamb instead of one of his own?
- Read 2 Samuel 12:5-6. How does David’s response make him a hypocrite? How does he even spiritualize his reaction? What does this say about where David is with God?
- Read 2 Samuel 12:7. Why did Nathan say that David is no different than the rich man in the story?
- Read 2 Samuel 12:7-10. How surprised do you think David was when he got exposed by Nathan? When have you been exposed for something you’ve tried to hide? Were you surprised? Why or why note?
- Read 2 Samuel 12:11-12. How did David’s sin and concealment cause pain to others? When have you seen a secret cause pain to other people, or even yourself?
- Read 2 Samuel 12:13. What is God’s immediate response to David? Now read 1 John 1:9. What will God’s immediate response to you be if you confess? So then, what does it actually mean to confess?
- Read James 5:16. How is it similar to 1 John 1:9, but also different? What would it look like to live a life of confessions?
- Psalm 51:2-6. Does David blame God? If not, who? When you experience pain, what can you do that David does in these verses?
- How would living a life free of secrets make you more effective as you try to be an example of Jesus where you live, work, and play?
- As you pray, thank God for forgiving you when you confess – no matter how bad it seems!
- Confess to God how you often try to conceal sin and secrets from him and others around you.
- Ask God to help you stay honest, even when it hurts, and trusting that He will forgive you no matter what.
- 2 Samuel 12
- Psalm 51