LISTEN TO THE SERMON:
This study guide is provided for OneLife Home Groups to use as the guide for your time together. You can also use it to go deeper on your own throughout the week! Need to join a home group? Click here!
NEED TO KNOW:
Kid City Team Night – We need your help!
Did you know that every month it takes a TON of volunteers to prepare all of the arts and crafts, games, and lesson plans for our kids ministry? That’s where you come in! At 6:30pm on Tuesday, March 28 at the North campus and Thursday, March 30 at the East campus you’re invited to help us make it all happen. From cutting out crafts, to organizing lesson plans, building crazy games, and more – it’s a lot of fun and it’s a huge way for you to support Kid City. Go to onelifeknox.com/elementary/ to let us know if you can help.
IF Gathering 2017, a OneLife Women’s Event
Ladies, save the date for Friday and Saturday, May 5 & 6 at your campus for our annual women’s event called the IF Gathering. This fun and powerful weekend event features times of worship, challenging messages from some of the top women’s leaders around the country, and a chance for you to get to know other ladies at OneLife. Registration opens April 9 and more information will be coming soon. But for now, save the date!
Get to Know OneLife Lunch
Do you ever wonder why we do what we do at OneLife? Do you want to know more about how you can get involved and what opportunities there are for you to grow? Or maybe you just want a free lunch?! If any of those are true, check out the Get to Know OneLife Lunch on March 26, immediately following the 2nd service. To sign up go to onelifeknox.com/partner.
Student Beach Camp 2017
Middle and High School Students listen up! Summer is only a few months away which means it’s time for our student ministry beach camp. June 26 – 30 you’ll get to hang out in Myrtle Beach, SC with other students from OneLife for a week of awesome worship, powerful teaching, and a ton of fun at the beach! Visit beachcamp2017.com for all the information and to register today.
Volunteer Interest Meeting, April 2
If you’ve been coming to OneLife but haven’t started volunteering, then it’s time to get on the team! Come to our next Volunteer Interest Meeting that we call “Test Drive” on Sunday, April 2 at 9:45am in the Meeting Room of your campus. Go to onelifeknox.com/volunteer/ and get signed up today!
THINK IT OVER
Think back through Sunday’s message. What stuck out?
1 Samuel 24:1-15
Resisting revenge will bring the ultimate reward.
- There will always be time people do us wrong, so there will always be opportunity to get revenge.
- To resist revenge, don’t listen to the wrong people.
- Listen to people who love Jesus more than they love you, and those who will be honest.
- To resist revenge, be a leader not a follower.
- Leadership is influence and might mean I’m the only one going with Jesus.
- To resist revenge, let God be God. I can’t be the one in control.
- To resist revenge, wait patiently for the ultimate reward.
- This life – and revenge – are temporary. The ultimate reward, which is Jesus, is eternal.
TALK IT OVER
Start Talking – Get the conversation started!
- Have you ever wanted so bad to get even with someone? Maybe it was funny or maybe it was serious, a long time ago or recent. Share with the group!
- Read 1 Samuel 24:1-3. Is this just a coincidence that Saul and David end up in the same cave at the same time? Why or why not?
- Read 1 Samuel 24:4. What were David’s men so intent upon seeing David do? Why do you think they wanted this so badly? What persuasive method did they try to use to convince David?
- What did David do instead of killing Saul? Why do you think he did this?
- In verse 4, David’s men try to convince David that he should seek revenge. Have you ever had someone or a group of people try to convince you that it was ok or even right to seek revenge?
- Read 1 Samuel 24:5-7. How does David go against the advice of his men? Have you ever seen someone who had a chance at revenge do what David did? How did that impact you? If you haven’t ever seen this, why do you think it is so rare to find an example?
- Read 1 Samuel 24:13-15 and Romans 12:19. How do these two passages relate to each other? What makes it so difficult to follow this example? Why is revenge so natural and easy to pursue?
- Who are people you can trust to listen to, who love Jesus more than they love you and will be honest with you?
- How can you be a leader (aka influencer) to those who encourage you to seek revenge?
- How can you let God be God, and use your own story of Jesus changing your life to share this with other people?
- What specific steps can you take to more patiently wait for the ultimate reward when you are tempted to seek revenge?
- As you pray, thank God for promising to fight for you and take revenge on your behalf!
- Confess to God how you often you attempt to control conflict and pain in your life by seeking revenge.
- Ask God to help you trust Him and patiently wait for the reward He has promised you.
- 1 Samuel 24
- Romans 12