LISTEN TO THE SERMON:
This study guide is provided for OneLife Home Groups to use as the guide for your time together. You can also use it to go deeper on your own throughout the week! Need to join a home group? Click here!
NEED TO KNOW:
Student Rally, September 11
If you’re a middle or high school student, then we want to invite you to our next student rally! On Sunday night, September 11 at 6pm at the Powell campus, students from both campuses will come together for a night of powerful worship, hanging out, and getting to know other students. If you’re not currently involved in OneLife’s student ministry this is a great way to get started!
OneLife’s 7-Year Service
For nearly 7 years we’ve seen God do something incredible at OneLife Church – something so big only He could get the credit! So for our 7th birthday we’re going to celebrate all that God has done as one church in one location. On Sunday, September 18 we’ll join together at the World’s Fair Park Amphitheater for a time of worship, baptism, and celebration of the last 7 years. Then, after the service we’ll have a family day in World’s Fair Park with food, fun, and entertainment. You don’t want to miss this!
Volunteer Interest Meeting, September 4
If you’ve been coming to OneLife but haven’t started volunteering, then it’s time to get started! Come to our next Volunteer Interest Meeting that we call “Test Drive” on Sunday, September 4 at 9:45am in the lobby of your campus. For more information or to sign up go to: onelifeknox.com/volunteer.
THINK IT OVER
Think back through Sunday’s message. What stuck out?
Winning isn’t always what I think it is. Winning is what Jesus did for me.
- The heart of God is the heart of a giver. He gave His one and only!
- Most people focus on what they think they will lose with Jesus rather than what God can give them.
- Jesus wants us to win in the playoffs – eternal life – rather than think we’re winning now.
- He didn’t come to sentence (judge) us but to save us!
TALK IT OVER
Start Talking – Get the conversation started!
- Were you ever part of something where you thought you were winning but in the end you or your team lost when it mattered most?
- Have you or your favorite team ever thought you were losing only to end up winning?
- Read John 3:16 and emphasize the world “love” as you read it. How do this change the meaning to you? Read it again two more times and emphasize the word “gave” and “only” as you do. Each time stop and discuss how it changes the meaning to see the verse through each of those filters.
- Read John 3:17. How would you explain this verse to someone who had never heard it before?
- Read Mark 8:34-36. How would you summarize this passage? What are the similarities between this passage and what Jesus said in John 3:16-17?
- Think about your own story or testimony. Was there or is there ever a time that you were afraid you would “lose” something if you gave control of it over to Jesus?
- What are the ways or things people are most afraid of losing when they think about following Jesus? What are some of the reasons they are led to believe that?
- If you were talking to someone and they were afraid of what they would lose if they followed Christ, how could you use your own story to share how you overcame that same fear or have experienced something different?
- When are you most prone to feeling like you are “losing” in your everyday life? How does the idea of this scripture help you next time you feel that way?
- When are you most prone to feeling like you are winning, when in reality you might be losing? How can this scripture help you change what you care most about?
- As you pray, thank God for giving you his one and only!
- Confess to God the ways that you are often afraid to lose something by following Him, rather than celebrating the win He has already given you.
- Ask God to help you use your story of what you’ve experienced through Jesus to help other people know Him, too!
- Mark 8:31-38